Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Ocean

Stage 1: Rough

This weeks illustration word was "Ocean". Having a personal love for the ocean I had many ideas come to mind. I began by creating a few small thumbnails of ideas to get myself flowing. I will be using the final image for a book cover mock up.


Amberleeclarke_minithumbs

I decided to go further using the jellyfish and created the first comp below. After drawing the jellyfish I had the idea to keep the theme similar but change the jellyfish to a sea horse as you see in the second comp.

amberleeclarke_thumbs

Once more keeping with the same theme I drew a octopus.


amberleeclarke_thumbs2

Stage 2: Digital Rendering

I began the digital stage by creating an ocean backdrop in photoshop.

bg step 1

Adding some detail:

bg step 2

Finishing with an overall blue wash.

bg step 3

Next I brought my sketch of the seahorse into illustrator and began tracing it in shapes and applying a pattern of gradient to each. Finishing with the fins and smaller details.


seahorse

Stage 3: Composition

I imported the ocean background into illustrator along with the seahorse. I created some simple bubbles from ellipses with gradients and small highlights. By tracing the shape of the coral in my sketch and applying a multiple colour gradient and some flitters.


final step 1     final step 2


Completing the design by adding some text.

final step 3

No comments:

Post a Comment